The History of Stoneham Theatre
In 1917 the town of Stoneham, population 7,500, already boasted two movie houses. Many doubted the need for a third. However, The Stoneham opened on Friday, November 2, 1917 at an estimated cost of $47,000. The feature attraction of the opening performance was Womanhood, the Glory of the Nation, with all proceeds given to the Stoneham Red Cross.
Movies were silent when The Stoneham was born. Though early films lacked sound effects and spoken dialogue, they were usually shown with accompaniment by a harried piano player whose tunes suited the action.
A new era in the field of moving pictures, the talking and sound picture; arrived at The Stoneham on Sunday, May 12, 1929. The renovation to sound placed a new screen at the front of the stage with the speaker behind it. It also caused an increase in ticket price, but for adults only. Amazingly, some people did not want sound, and for their benefit on two days a week The Stoneham offered a double feature – one picture with sound and the other silent.
The Great Depression and Beyond
Right on the heels of such great strides for The Stoneham came the Great Depression. The 1930s were bleak in Stoneham, but, like other movie houses, The Stoneham provided temporary relief from worries and fears of the future. In March 1933 The Stoneham even offered its patrons the privilege of writing an IOU for the 35-cent admission!
The 1940s were undoubtedly the golden years of movies at The Stoneham. Surrounded by a war-torn world filled with separations and anxieties, residents sought solace by watching dramas in the lives of others. Among the films enjoyed during this decade were Casablanca, The Lost Weekend, Mildred Pierce, and Miracle on 34th Street.
By the 1950s there was a noticeable drop in box office receipts. Drive-ins sprang up and TV kept people at home. New filming techniques in the late 1950